Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Social Media: Future Trends.

Looking through my blog entries you will see I have discussed a number of different forms of social media and their different applications. I have discussed things such as: online documentaries, smart phones, YouTube, cybersex communities, second life communities as well as online activism.

From these different areas of social media I believe one stands out with the potential to dominate the eLandscape and become even more popular than it already is. I am of course talking about the ‘Smart Phone’ and its potential to revolutionise the way in which we communicate with one another.

We have so far, seen amazing developments in mobile technology and only in a relatively short amount of time. In a matter of decades we have gone from bulky ‘bag phones’; that required external power and only worked in scarcely available ‘transmission zones’, to having a powerful, handheld communications device that has the basic functionality of a home PC. And this is only the beginning. . . .

In recent years we have seen an increase in the number phones that can readily access the internet and do the same basic things a home computer can do. Tasks such as sending emails, browsing the web and viewing photos and videos are all able to be done on many smart phones.












We have seen a number of different forms of media and other devices being integrated into phones including: Still camera, video camera, web browser, portable gaming device, portable music player and video player to name a few. I predict that in the future all of these aspects are going to be improved and re-developed continuously as micro-technology continues to evolve.



I now come to my FUTURE PREDICTIONS for the smart phone. These are aspects of the smart phone that I believe will happen in the near future.....

Increased connectivity: The increased ability to connect wirelessly to music players, T.V’s and computers.

Increased internal capacity: Used much like a portable hard drive, larger amounts of content could be stored on smart phones.

Improved camera: The in-built camera would continuously improve to rival the picture quality of purpose built digital cameras. People would no longer have a need for a digital camera.

I-phone copycats: The innovative design of Apple I-Phone will no doubt be copied by other phone manufacturers. I believe that the idea of phone applications or ‘apps’ will also be copied. This has been seen in the past with the development of the HP all-in-one PC, yet Apple I-Mac developed this technology long before.

Increased computer-like functions: I believe smart phones will become a lot more like computers, in the sense that people will be able to run programs like: Microsoft Office, and Photoshop on their phones.

To realy simplyfy my future predictions please look at this LINK (Asus Portable PC) and also this LINK (Apple I-Pad). These two pieces of technology combined with mobile phone functionality is where I see the future heading!!!!









We are living in a time of rapid growth in information technology and I believe that the above predictions; among many others, are all possible and I think that we will be seeing some of these changes in the not too distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment